Transcriptions of the Births, Marriages and Deaths
from the Malton Messenger for the year 1858
"MALTON, or New Malton, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale and part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 9 miles from Pickering; 18 from York; and 22 from Scarbro'. Malton actually contains two parishes, St. Leonard and St. Michael (see Churches for photograph) but these, together with St. Mary's in Old Malton make a single living. Market, Saturday. Fairs, -see below. Bankers, Messrs. Bower, Brown, Dewsbury, and Thompson, draw on Messrs. Curries, Raikes, & Co. 29, Cornhill; North-Riding Bank, Messrs. Hague, Strickland, & Allen, draw on Messrs. Barclay, Tritton, & Co. 54, Lombard-Street. Principal Inns, New-Talbot, and White-Horse. Population St. Leonard, 2,339 St. Michael, 1,666. Total 4005. The Churches are perpetual curacies, in the deanry of Rydale. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The population of New Malton, within the Borough, amounts to 4005 souls."
- On the 21st ult., at St. Mary's church, Scarborough, by the Rev. M. A. PIERPOINT, Mr John SMIDDY, farmer, Pickering, to Harriet, eldest daughter of Mr Francis DOWSON, of the same place.